Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Super Simple Strawberry Jam



Summer = strawberry picking.  More strawberries than you can eat.  What to do with all these strawberries?  Why, easy, peasy, strawberry jam!

Seriously.  3 ingredients.  So easy.

You'll need:
2 lbs. of strawberries, hulled
3 1/2 cups of white sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice


After cleaning and hulling your strawberries, crush them until you have about 4 cups.


Yummy goodness.


In a heavy saucepan, over low heat, mix the strawberries, lemon juice, and sugar until sugar is dissolved.  


Increase heat to high, and bring mixture to a full rolling boil.  Boil, stirring often, until the mixture reaches 220 degrees F. (If I remember correctly, it took about 20 minutes.)


If you don't have a thermometer, no worries.  I use this neat trick to find out if the jam is ready to be canned:  Freeze a plate.  Add a little jam to the plate.  Put it back in the freezer for one minute.  Take it out of the freezer and run your finger through the jam.  If it runs, boil it longer.  If it holds up, you're all done.  

Now you just jar these babies!  I used 1/2 pint jars and got over six out of this batch.  Leaving about 1/2" headspace before putting the cover on.



I just added some stickers and ribbon and they were ready for some summer gift giving


How I look forward to my coffee and toast in the morning.


Happy Eating,

2 comments:

  1. This looks so delicious. I think I could just eat it with a spoon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh thank you for linking up! You must have read my mind because I have been wanting to do this but unsure how! Shared on Google + & featuring your post tomorrow. Thanks for linking up to ITS PARTY TIME! xoxo

    ReplyDelete