Wednesday, July 29, 2015

From Rags to Riches

I love the Habitat for Humanity ReStore. If you don't live near one, I'm feeling kind of bad for you. Walking around there on rainy days and finding steals on hanging lamps and buying up shot glasses I didn't know I needed to have. And all the profits go to building houses in our local area. Love it.

Well, I went there with a purpose one afternoon. We were renovating the lower level to our chalet which included a new bathroom and I needed a vanity. I wanted something solid, but knew I could work magic with it if I had to.

And I had to.


It was a solid oak cabinet but pretty boring. And it had a hole in the side (as you can see), but that part was going against the wall, so it was not a bother.

Abracadabra . . . . . . . .


Trim. That's what made this baby pop. Oh, and paint with glaze too. That kind of helped.
I had scoured Houzz for some inspiration ideas. I came across a vanity with the lovely trim on the side. That's where I got the idea to beef up the cabinet. It is simply attached with glue and brad nails. To highlight the trim, I added glaze after painting. I think it really makes it pop.


I also gave it some new "feet". I wrapped the bottom with baseboard that I cut out in the front to make it kind of fancy.

I love this bathroom. I was going for the clean, in the woods, relaxed by the lake kind of feel. I also built the shelf, the bench, and the doggie decor (missing from pic). Will share on another post I get to in about 6 months! Ugh.


There is always a way to dress up plain Jane. :)



Have a great day,
Debbie


Sharing with:
DIY By Design


12 comments:

  1. Wow, it looks fabulous! Love the shelf and bench too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You're right, that trim does make it pop. Beautiful makeover. We have a ReStore, too, and it is a fun place to go and find a good deal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did a great job on the transformation. Love the color. I will be featuring this tonight at my Sizzle into Summer party that opens at 8pm EST. Please stop by and pick up an I've Been Featured button. Thanks. http://diybydesign.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is beautiful. Can you share more info on the paint and technique? I am preparing to paint an old glass front cabinet that I found at a flea market and looking for something a little different than just plain paint. What brand paint and finish and color? What about the Glaze? How did you apply? Finish over the top? Thanks so much

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments everyone Girlsgonescrappin, it was a Behr paint and I don't remember the color now, but after you add glaze, the color changes anyway. I was going to a "lake" feel. The glaze is a general finish glaze that I love. I apply the glaze with a slightly wet rag -- my plan was to get it into the edges so it would help make the trim pop. Because the vanity was going in a bathroom, I finished it with a polyacrylic. Hope this helps!

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Did you do all the mitre cutting yourself? All that trim would have to be cut to fit perfectly! Also the base piece that you put on the front. Do you operate a mitre saw? Do you have any pics of you cutting the pieces or putting the added trim together and attaching it. Did you fill the brad holes with anything? It looks so smooth up close. It's gorgeous and its exactly what I want to do! I read a blog where the girl used dollar store frames to add trim to a plain drawer front!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE this vanity. Did you add trim to the side only? Or also the front doors? It is the best vanity re-do I have seen on Pinterest!! Any help with what you did is so much appreciated... I am so sorry about your son.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for all the compliments Kimberly! I love this vanity too.

    I added the trim on the side AND on the front, making a square around the doors and the also on the flat panel on top. I also added the “feet” to the bottom and trim along the bottom. After painting it, I used some antiquing glaze to make the trim pop. It was so simple and makes quite the impact. Let me know if you have any other questions. :)

    ReplyDelete